I learned and achieved a lot in 2014 for my wardrobe and think that I'm at a point where I can begin to introduce capsule wardrobes to further simplify yet enhance my style/wardrobe.
I donated or sold a majority of items I don't need, no longer fit (except for a few pieces I'm getting closer to), don't look good on me, or don't wear any more - there are a few pieces that I'm still undecided on or have not had a chance to list for sale, but I expect that my wardrobe numbers will be going down again this year.
I have filled in some wardrobe gaps, including the ever-difficult for me - knee high boots, and feel I now have all the essential pieces that I have been working towards to give me a 'complete' wardrobe.
Summary of 2014:
- purchased 11 bags, received 1 backpack as a gift; sold 3 bags, donated 2 bags.
- received 1 wallet for my birthday, purchased 1 wallet and 2 pouches; sold 1 wallet, donated 1 wallet.
- achieved my goal to only have 10 wallets (not including a travel wallet, and one wallet that I am semi-retiring but holding onto because it was a gift from my husband).
- received 1 watch as a gift, purchased 2 watches; sold 1 watch.
- bought 5 pairs of shoes, incorporated 2 pairs of shoes from my early days into my current wardrobe; donated 8 pairs of shoes.
- Purchased 43 items for my wardrobe (not including the bags), all of which have been worn regularly and include 4 investment pieces (2 coats and 2 watches).
- not including my 4 investment pieces or bags, total purchases totaled less than $1,000
- purchased something every month of the year except for November when I made a conscious decision not to buy anything.
My goals for 2015 are to:
- continue to downsize the number of shoes I have - I purged a lot this year but there are still some that I can let go of. Also, I won't be replacing a number of them when they wear through.
- continue to work on using the things I love and not worry about them getting ruined.
- build a capsule wardrobe for each month - unlike some capsule wardrobe challenges, I'm not limiting the number of items I will use but I will make sure the amount is reasonable.
- continue to shop out of my bag and wallet collection and implement a one-in, one-out rule.
- rotate through all my wallets throughout the year.
- use jewelry more to accessorize my daily outfits.
- continue to purge, re-fine, and down-size my wardrobe.
- budget $1,000 for wardrobe purchases (not including investment pieces that may replace current wardrobe staples).
- downsize the number of jackets and coats
- use the bags I weren't able to use in 2014 - if I don't use them again in 2015, consider letting them go.
- have some purchase-free months
2015 Wishlist and "needs":
- leopard calf-hair bag or clutch
- find and stock up on good quality tights
- black wedge ankle boots
- a gray leather bag
- gray wool winter coat
- leopard print, calf-hair belt
- gray jeans to replace my current pair - they are beginning to look in need of replacing and since they are a major staple in my wardrobe, I want to start looking early to find the 'perfect' pair
- navy sheath dress